Friday, March 16, 2007

What is a fair fee for a mortgage broker?

What is a fair fee for a mortgage broker?

As the market changes, and it gets more and more difficult for corrupt mortgage brokers to make 5 points per deal, what I am questioning is what should a mortgage broker make? My personal feelings is that every broker should come to their own conclusion as to what they will "charge" their clients for their services, and then offer them the option to structure the loan accordingly. The reason being, there are many ways we as brokers can get paid, I think it should be up to the borrower how that is, and the borrower should make the call as to what rate and terms that is.
So what I do is, structure 3 different options of cost and rate, so that I make 1-1.5 points. My client then makes the choice what rate and cost they want. I have come to the conclusion that with the level of service and experience I provide, my clients are getting a bargain. My question to all of you is, what do you think is fair for a mortgage broker to make in points?
I guess there are a couple variables. The type of transaction being one. But overall, I think we can come to a solid conclusion.
Please give me feedback, what do you think is a fair wage, what is excessive, what is a bargain.

Thanks
Tags: purchase, Refinance, Fees, commissions, points
Comments (2)

No comments: