Monday, June 4, 2007

Cut the cr#*, excuses only go so far.

I was a speaker at a First Time Homebuyer Seminar this afternoon, and for last time was disrespected.
Let's start off with an explanation. I was approached to host a mutually run seminar in Oakland California, for First Time Homebuyers. I think of it more as a homebuyers seminar, let's face it even people with homes need the education!
Over the last couple weeks I met with the other coordinator to go over the details, and get it all set up.
One of the things I pride myself on is my professionalism. This doesn't mean that I am a snooty know it all, with all of the answers. I wish I had all the answers. It just means that I do my best in all cases. I work hard, know what I am doing, look people in the eye, speak to them with respect no matter who they are, and 99% of the time, SHOW UP ON TIME.
Business is about keeping busy. Always having something to do. Never wasting time, unless of course, that is on the agenda! When you make committments to people to meet for something, and you don't show up on time, you are wasting their time, and basically slapping them in the face. You are telling that person, that you don't respect them, and their time isn't valuable. Now I am not trying to say that I am always on time. I would be full of it if I said that, but the reality is, I will call if I am going to be late, and my reasoning will be legitimate. Lame excuses just don't cut it. "It has been busy", "my car wouldn't start" etc., are kind of old. I am not saying that these things don't happen, you just make sure it doesn't happen again in that relationship.
OK, back to the point.
In planning for this seminar, the person that was coordinating was late to each of our 5 meetings. Yes late every single time. Excuses every time. I normally wouldn't accept this treatment, but was excited to do the seminar and see the results.
Today came, I was there 40 minutes early to put up signs, have my handouts ready, and generally be ready to go. The building that the seminar was in has a locked door at all times, so I had to call this individual to get the access code to enter the building. I dial the phone, and it went straight to voicemail.
Uh oh!
Mind you it is cold out, I am standing outside of the building, getting progressively colder...and more upset. Finally I get the call back, get the code to enter the building, and a number of crappy excuses. The worst statement, being that this person won't be there for 40 minutes. WTF????? The meeting starts in 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You have to be joking. Late again, on the big day! No way.
There was someone that was waiting for the meeting to begin, so I invited them up to have a seat and wait for the start. He followed.... Another individual came, complaining that she was supposed to have a meeting with this person a couple hours earlier and that person hadn't shown up. See a trend?
I briefed the two attendees about the situation, and we chatted about life and business.
Now I was told that there were going to be about 10 people in attendance, I am only seeing two. Do I start the seminar? After about 1/2 hour, no one else showing, I started. About 1 1/2 hours late from the original seminar start time, the co-"Planner" finally showed up. I feel like a not only got slapped in the face, but got stabbed.
I went through my information (it went well by the way), and answer questions. Nothing I hadn't heard before. Another person was set to speak, so I politely excused myself and walked out the door. (afterall it is Saturday, and I am furious by this point) The co-"planner" stopped me before I left, and had the nerve to say to me "Next month I think I can get 50 people".
I can't tell you how many things came to mind. Most of them I wouldn't ever post on Active Rain because of their indecency. I responded politely, that with me, there wasn't going to be a next time. I said a few other things, all of them polite, though I should have let her know my true feelings! I am through with that person. I calculated that this person had wasted not only about 2 hours of my waiting around outside of her office, but also I had left my office early over the course of two weeks, about 5 times, something I don't like to do.
Just wasting my time, and ultimately costing me money. Business has no place for these types of disrespect, and I don't have any patience for that in my business life.
Do you accept disrespect?


Jon Vetter
San Francisco Loan Officer for your San Francisco Home Loan.

No comments: