Monday, June 4, 2007

Stevie Nicks in concert at Sleep Train Pavilion, Concord

Last night I was able to have a night out with my wife to go see Chris Isaak and Stevie Nicks in concert at the Sleep Train Pavilion in Concord, California. First off, I have heard of Stevie Nicks, probably bobbed my head a few times when it came on "RadioAlice", but never would say I was "soooo excited" that I just had to go. My wife on the other hand, completely the opposite. There are 3 bands she had to see in her lifetime, Stevie Nicks being one of them, so I got tickets.
For me, the best motivation was to just get out of the house, have a night together to not think about anything other than each other. That got me excited. So we hired a babysitter (AKA My dad), and headed out to the Clayton Valley (BRRRR last night) to see what Miss Stevie had to offer.
We live in Hayward, about 40 minutes away, not a big deal, but I was expecting the worst with traffic. As anyone from the area knows, or anyone that has been to the pavilion, the traffic getting there is tough, but once you do get there, it is worth everything. What a great venue! I went out there once in college to see the Counting Crows, and loved the place, but forgot how cool it was until last night. We had some pretty good seats, dead center, about 100 yards back (the best I could do at the time).
Chris Isaak, opened, and though I wasn't very excited at all to see him, he did make the concert entertaining. His flashy clothes, crazy hair, and surprisingly great sense of humor, I enjoyed it. Dare I say, liked it. He actually wore a full suit, with 2 inch mirrors, covering the whole suit. I couldn't believe it even existed, let along someone would wear it in front of 5000 people. He certainly stood out. He also wore a pink suit, do you think he likes attention? All in all, it served the purpose, we laughed, and enjoyed the show.
It was a good open for someone that I was a little more interested in...Stevie Nicks. At least I knew some of her songs. I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between her songs and Fleetwood Macs songs, but okay, I guess I know the voice. I had in my mind her being much less attractive, she looks great after all she has been through (cancer). She looks the same as she did years ago! She opened with a song I have never heard before, and she opened with a bang. It was a rock style song that she sold well, and got even non-Stevie junkies out of their seats. Stevie Nicks, the rock star?
The whole set was great, she played about 4 songs I knew, and they were well done. That was all I expected. Well, that and some great nachos from the food stand.

I had a great night, and left Sleep Train Pavilion with a new appreciation for both Stevie and Chris, and a remembered fondness for a great place to see a concert. I will have to see who is coming next. Here

A new fan
Jon Vetter
San Francisco Loan Officer

No comments: