Tuesday, May 1, 2007

I do, your honor...

So for the 3rd time in the last year, I have received the most dreaded mail, anyone could get. No not the credit card bill or energy bill in the winter, I am talking about the letter from Alameda County selecting me for jury duty!
Ugh.

This is one of the most annoying and inconvenient things we as citizens must deal with. It isn't so much that we have to possibly spend a few hours in court to do my service in society, that is not the issue, my issue is having to block out my whole day, and possibly whole life (ie. Scott Peterson trial took months and months) for the "possibility" that I might have service longer than one day. If I was getting paid for services, maybe I wouldn't complain, but let's face it, the wage they pay is not something to get excited about.
The biggest complaint I have is the lack of knowledge about what we are doing. I have set a reminder for myself to call after 5 as directed, to check to see IF I have to even show up. As discussed earlier, this is the 3rd time I have gone through this in 2006-2007. The first two times I fullfilled my duties, but now I am still accountable every 6 months until I actually report in the courtroom. I guess if I don't actually serve in court, they can recycle my information every 6 months until I have completed my services entirely. So as a father of a young girl, I have to make plans, in case, I have to report. I don't know about you, but with a young one, changing plans and adapting to the court system isn't something that just happens on a dime!

The first part of this is just a rant on my part. I thought I would convey my feelings as I wait the final 10 minutes until I can call to verify if I have to report or not. Waiting...waiting....waiting...dial tone....answer...key in my code...
Ugh...part2
This is why I rant. Now, I am instructed to recall between 11 and 12 tomorrow morning for an update on my status. That means, I can't go to work (45 minutes away), and have to sit and wait for the results. Will I have to go to court, or am I relieved? Stay tuned for the next episode...

No comments: